The European Commission supports natural and environmental projects with its LIFE+ Programme. The general objective of LIFE is to contribute to the implementation, updating and development of EU environmental policy and legislation by co-financing pilot or demonstration projects with added European value. Planning, construction and implementation of the HAMBURG WATER Cycle in the neighborhood of Jenfelder Au are the focus of the funding. The funding period runs from 1 September 2011 till 31 August 2019.
The following work packages are part of the funding by the LIFE+ Programme:
- Planning and tendering process of the different components
- Building and commissioning of the wastewater treatment facilities, including blackwater and greywater sewers and greywater treatment
- Building of the blackwater treatment and biogas utilization
- Monitoring and assessment of the ecological sustainability and economic feasibility
- Communication and dissemination activities
- Project management and support